Hello :) My name is Malia. I am a natural empath, intuitive, and practitioner of energy healing.
What is adrenal fatigue? This is not a widely recognized condition, but then neither is the conscious understanding that the emotional body and the physical body are indeed connected and interacting as one body. From the viewpoint of my own guidance, the adrenals are responsible for processing our stress response, and when operating properly, we are able to discern what should provoke a fear response versus the common pattern of many with weak adrenal function where fear is a constant and so much so that fight-or-flight response is elicited even under otherwise safe conditions.
This is not to be confused with a soul-level, triggered response by what is commonly referred to as a soulmate or twin-flame interaction. (The guidance I receive does not label soulmates or twin-flames, but these labels are used in this article only for the purpose of communicating a concept). These soul-level interactions bring up fear responses that are out of proportion to the seen or real situation being experienced and can be incredibly disorienting and confusing. Of course, fear is not the complete experience - there is much more, but a consistently experienced fear response can lead to adrenal fatigue over time.
Adrenal fatigue from chronic over-processing of emotional information presents itself in the physical body as constant physical fatigue, nervousness, irritability, emotional lability, inability to lose weight, loss of interest in normal activities, and so forth.
Defined by http://www.endocrineweb.com/endocrinology/overview-adrenal-glands: “The adrenal glands have a multi-functional role in the endocrine system. The two very different parts of these glands, the medulla and cortex, regulate and maintain many of your internal processes—from metabolism to the fight-or-flight response.”
At the following link, you can take a short quiz and get a better sense of whether what you are experiencing is adrenal fatigue. https://www.adrenalfatigue.org/take-the-adrenal-fatigue-quiz
Now that we have a better sense of what adrenal fatigue is and how to recognize it, how then do we prevent it or bring ourselves back into balance once it is occurring? We ground. As conscious empaths, the understanding of grounding is fairly straightforward because the conscious empath does understand energy conceptually. To the unconscious empath (one who has yet to recognize their gifts in this lifetime) this understanding will come with time.
What does it mean to be grounded or not grounded? According to my guidance, grounding is simply “staying put in your own body and your own experience” and the understanding that if you are experiencing joy and vibrancy or really any deeply felt or enlivened emotion, you are indeed in the moment and in your body.
The key may be understood as consistent grounding resulting in a more centered approach to enlivened emotion, where the emotions can be seen for what they are, moving through us rather than who we are and controlling our reflected experience.
According to Google (for the sake of a more mainstream definition), being grounded is being well balanced and sensible or prohibited or prevented from flying.
The logic that follows would indeed be that if we are always frustrated, fatigued, and otherwise unhappy in our body, we are also not grounded or as grounded as we could be. The very process of grounding actually serves us so well that it allows a strong and clear sense of empowerment.
Consistent and frequent grounding practices serve to assist the adrenals and heal the body and the emotional experience so that we are not, as empaths, hypervigilant and hyperreactive to all that is felt emotionally, or living life like a raw, open nerve with no off switch. Without regular grounding, empaths are often lacking boundaries, finding themselves constantly poking around in the emotional experience of those around them, becoming overly critical, fatigued, losing track of items, succumbing to the urge to leave clutter in their environment, indulging in sweets, alcohol, nicotine and other quick fixes to relieve anxiety and even pain.
Leading us to the final piece of the puzzle. How do we then ground and assist our adrenals so that we are functional and empowered empaths? The answer is fairly simple, straightforward, and often even free.
1. Breathe. Learn to breathe correctly, deeply, and deliberately.
2. Sleep - plenty of it. I tend to require at least 9 hours, often 10 to 12, of sleep. As an empath, I am actually processing more emotional information than just my own, and the more Light that is held within the cells (the more an empath evolves and allows more energy to flow in and out) the more emotional information can move through. Thus, more rest and repair is needed for the physical body to function at its peak.
Allowing plenty of sleep is often the single most effective change (and offers the most obvious healing)for empaths. This is often impaired by worry and anxiety, which can be simply addressed with exercise, sunshine, breathwork, and/or herbs/supplements.
3. Sunshine. The power of the sun can be summed up by sayings that are so common, “You radiate good health.” “You are simply glowing.” These sayings speak to the power of Light as our fuel and source of vibrancy. The more I develop as an empath, and the more mature I become as a soul, the more drawn I find myself to the sun, and the more clear it is to me that I am brought back into balance every time I allow myself to bask in its glow.
4. Earthing. One of the seemingly newer and yet ancient ideas related to healing and balance is earthing. Earthing is simply putting one's bare feet to the Earth. Even concrete is a conduit for energy and can be used in your earthing practice. Earthing “is” allowing the energy of the earth to move through the body. In modern days, we tend to use insulating materials in our shoes, keeping us “from” our very natural process of earthing and thus healing.
5. Clean, fresh water. Water is one of the single best conduits of energy. I will often take a salt bath when I need to return to balance and find that I feel the frequencies of healing (energy work) much more clearly as a result.
6. Yoga. I have found in my own self-development that the movements of Yoga when practiced regularly bring about a state of ease that is unmatched in nearly any other physical exercise. This practice teaches the mind deliberate movement, focus and centeredness. Yoga is practiced worldwide in many variations that can accommodate nearly anyone, at any fitness level.
7. Hugs. Physical affection is medicinal. There are many studies now showing the positive effects of regular physical contact, particularly with people you love.
8. Any of life’s amazing pleasures enjoyed in moderation and without self-criticism can be considered grounding. For example, amazing tastes, smells, sounds - music that soothes or enlivens; affection or tactile information; even evoking the feeling of empathy will stimulate and tone the vagus nerve and ground us.
9. Herbs and other supplements. Theanine Serene is a branded supplement that easily assists the adrenals, allowing a state of balance and relaxation. There are many others that help alleviate anxiety and bring balance such as GABA, Eleutherococcus, Rhodiola, Ginseng, and Ashwagandha. I recommend visiting a local naturopathic doctor for recommendations that are best suited to your needs. Ask about adaptogens. Most naturopaths are not only aware of adrenal fatigue but have valuable insight into its reversal. Furthermore, if getting to sleep is your biggest struggle, this may be the best place to begin - with supplementation.
It is my hope that these suggestions will begin to solve the riddle of adrenal fatigue for you. A regular grounding practice is essential and foundational for the empowered empath, and dare I say may shift your experience from one of feeling powerless to empowered, living through the eyes of magnetized energy, bringing to you that which is desired and holding a steady space of consistent centeredness.
Of course, this journey is not black and white and will bloom in greater and greater degrees to favor the empowered experience the more it is chosen.
Until next time!
Malia is a natural empath, intuitive, practitioner of energy medicine, as well as creator of Finding Your Yes! (your treasure map to uncovering your guidance and trusting it) and author of Malia's Way (everyday magic for empaths).
Join my mailing list at www.EmpathMalia.com.
Malia is also an intuitive contemporary artist. You're invited to view her current collections at Studio Malia.
Copyright is maintained by Malia Shields and Malia's World, LLC. It is prohibited for this work to be sold, distributed, revised or otherwise represented by anyone other than Malia Shields.
Disclaimer I am not a medical doctor. My story is specific to me and my experience. Please check with a doctor before using any herb or supplement and/or if you have questions or are taking medications, particularly if you are pregnant or nursing.